22 August 2007

Drinking in Sweden

Quite a striking and frightening article in Metro today (here in Swedish), about the alcohol consumption in Sweden nowadays and especially among the younger.

Here is what a girl drinks in a year, in average (aged 18-24 years old, in 2006):
43,3 bottles of wine
3 bottles of 70cl strong alcohol (gin,vodka, etc...)
36 cans of strong beer (more than 3,5 degrees, usually 50 cl)
17,1 cans of light beer (under 3,5 degrees)
In total, 6,1 liters of pure alcohol, against 4,4 in 2004. The consumption of wine by women has doubled in the last 10 years.

Here is what a guy is drinking, still in a year, still in average
38,9 bottles of wine
13,7 bottles of 70cl strong alcohol (gin,vodka, etc...)
196 cans of strong beer (more than 3,5 degrees, usually 50 cl)
51,4 cans of light beer (under 3,5 degrees)
In total, 13,6 liters of pure alcohol, against 8,8 in 2004.


This is quite scary according to me: almost a bottle of wine each week for a girl, 4 beers each week for a guy, not even including the rest. Not that much you may tell me if you compare to some countries like France (let's take an example I know about) where people can drink wine everyday. But the thing is, in Sweden, most of the people drink only in the week-ends, which means a bottle (+ some more) in just one evening. And this, almost EVERY week-end of the year.

Well, I have done that. When I was studying. So I am not better than the others; at some point in Halmstad, we were partying and therefore drinking (these two notions belong together in Sweden, but that's another discussion that I won't start here) on wednesdays, fridays and saturdays. and each time it was a bottle of wine or 5 or 6 beers (between 2 and 3 liters, that is). God, when I think of it, it's totally sick! But the good thing at least is that this period is over for me. Of course I still drink, I drank wine every day, lunch AND dinner during my holidays in France last month but just a glass or two, and I still drink when I go out nowadays. But the thing is that it doesn't happen EVERY week-end and definitely not several times in a week. Unfortunately some people do not manage to take this distance to alcohol and cannot change their drinking habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment